Thursday, September 27, 2012

Tools and a Tool

The first gift I ever gave my ex was a garlic press. Not just any garlic press, the nice kind where you don't even have to peel your garlic.

So lets talk about kitchen equipment. No, actually lets share my relationship details over a public blog. More entertaining.

My ex was a pretty good cook. I was better. He made me eat eggplant for the first time which, for this bad vegetarian, was a feat. He taught me that peanut butter in your cereal sounds crazy but tastes good. He taught me that when a guy says he will always love you that is code for "get out of my life. Now."

I loved cooking and I loved him. I would zone out in the kitchen, which would mean on average we would eat at about 10pm. He learned to deal with eating late, I learned to fix him a snack.

People would ask me if I "let" my ex eat meat. I did and he did. I just didn't cook it for him. I wasn't that cool of a girlfriend.

He was pretty good about it. He liked,or pretended to like, my falafel and couscous concoctions. The rest of the time I knew he secretly despised me for all of our meatless dishes. He really loved his meat.

One of our biggest, and only (go figure) fights was about raising kids vegetarian or not. I stand my ground. If I push that thing out of my crotch they don't eat meat until they are old enough to decide that for themselves.

I did convince him that the kids would drink organic milk despite the $7 price tag when I told him that girls are developing boobs at age 9 because of the hormones in regular milk.

No, my dog is not a vegetarian. No one is perfect.





No comments:

Post a Comment