Monday, October 8, 2012

All the single ladies

You know the Beyonce song, "...if ya liked it should'a put a ring on it..."?

Boy how fun that was when I wanted to be single, and how not so fun it is when I'm not 100% single by choice. My mom says that this makes me sound needy and I totally agree.

Don't get me wrong, I did not demand my ex put a ring on it, nor is this why we broke up (I'm still figuring that one out).

Just yesterday my best friend and I were at a friend's wedding. Looking around we were quick to determine we were in the single girl minority. And by minority I mean it was us and the 5 year olds. Obviously this meant two things: 1. Make friends with the bartenders, and 2. Avoid that stupid bouquet toss at ALL costs.

After several weddings as a single girl (note that even those in relationships are included as they aren't married) I have come to know the signs of the looming bouquet toss. Here I was minding my own business, just drinking my wine when out of the corner of my eye I spot none other than the bride with her "backup tossing bouquet.". At that point I knew that I had to get the heck out of there. Leaving my shoes (you never leave your shoes!) I screamed to my friend, "It's time!" as I simultaneously began sprinting toward the exit. She wasted no time asking me "What?" She knew the drill and almost took out a waiter as the first few chords of "Single Ladies" began to play. We made it out just in time and judging from the fact that a married chick caught the bouquet I think we made the right call.

The bouquet toss is a single girls abusive nightmare that haunts our dreams and I for one will not support it (until I have my own husband to cling to-then it's game on suckers!).

So after such an emotional and physical (no, I don't run) event we retreated to my place where we consumed food like 15 year old boys at a football carbo load night.

One of my staples Banana bread with a MN twist- sweet tango apples.

Recipe

Mash 3-4 ripe bananas with 1/3 cup melted butter

Ass 1/3 cup plain yoghurt or sour cream, 1t vanilla and 1 egg. Mix

Add 3/4 C sugar, 1/4c brown sugar.

Then gently fold in 1t baking soda, pinch of salt and 1 1/2 cups flour.

Peel and cut a small apple and add to the mix.

Pour into a greased and floured bread pan. Bake 350 degrees for 1 hour.

Serve with apple butter or cream cheese- and trust me he will be wishing he put a ring on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment