Thursday, October 18, 2012

I'm just sorta bad

When in good I'm really, really good, but when I'm bad I'm fabulous!

So why a bad vegetarian?

I didn't become a vegetarian for health reasons, I just got that added benefit. I wasn't born and bred meatless, my parents let me choose my path. I didn't become a vegetarian to impress a guy (clearly) or to rebel. I became a vegetarian because as a kid I didn't want to eat cute animals.

There are very serious vegans out there that know what is in everything they eat, use and wear. There are vegetarians out there that call themselves vegetarian but still eat chicken. There are nutritionally careful vegetarians and there are not so careful vegetarians. I'm in the naughty not so careful category.

I do know what is in my food because I cook it. I don't eat marshmallows or gelatin yoghurt or frosted mini wheats (all have animals bi-products), but I do have leather boots and my dog still eats organic beef- so I'm no saint.

When I cook vegetarian I don't always set out to cook a protein-packed balanced entree, sometimes I just cook what looks, or tastes (hopefully both) good. Hence, my title the bad vegetarian.

I love trying new recipes and not following them. I have ADHD so if its too long or complicated I do my own thing early on. I don't have time for Martha Stewart type precision. This can be good and bad. When it's bad it's usually awful. When it's good chances are I can't remember what I did.

I do cook when I'm stressed and/or bored, and I cook when I think about calling my ex (learned that lesson early), or when I want to avoid doing laundry. You can often tell my mood by the nutritional value of my current dish. Who wants to eat healthy when they just got dumped?

Bring on the cheese.

People don't invite me to their parties because I'm fun, they invite me because I bring hot artichoke dip.

Below:

Pudding brownies
Garden Guacamole
Mini Pumpkin cheesecakes
Chocolate tortes
Artichoke dip (recipe below)

RECIPE:
in a food processor (or by hand if you aren't so lucky) pulse:
2 cans drained artichoke hearts
4oz cream cheese
1cup mozzarella
1/2 cup Parmesan
(Swap out cheese for goat or pepper jack depending on preference)
1cup mayo
1/2 cup sour cream
1T crushed rosemary
1-4 peeled garlic cloves (I heart garlic)
1t ground pepper
Fresh or frozen thawed spinach (optional)

Pulse until blended but not puréed. Add a few hand chopped artichoke quarters and spread into a baking dish. Bake 400 degrees until hot and bubbly.

Serve with carrots, pits, chips, crackers or bread. Go to bed happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment