Friday, October 12, 2012

Mac n' cheese. The Real Stuff.

What does one do right after you spend 2 hours deleting pictures of your ex off your iPhone? I know what you are thinking and you are wrong.

You have a glass of wine and you eat.

I called my best friend, "I hated today, I feel like an irritable 2-year-old. I want to feed my emotions instead of working through them but I can't figure out what will make me feel better."

"Macaroni and cheese. And none of that organic stuff -- that will just make you angry and unfulfilled. You want the real Kraft stuff." She didn't even have to think, because she knew. And she was right. A true friend doesn't question your poor life choices during times like these, she knows better.

Now don't you judge me, I'm well aware that this is not a healthy solution to my current mental state, but I'm not in the mood to soothe my pain with a jog. I've got a ways to go before these blogs aren't depressing and butter based, so sit down- shit is about to get real. Kraft "real" Mac n cheese that is. (Yes, I hate myself for using that line also.)

However, this story gets more horrific as I didn't have any Kraft in my house. I did, however, have 18 varieties of cheese (seriously, I don't mess around) and some Penne so behold, my new comfort food. Baked cheesy penne with bianca sauce and more cheese.

If this doesn't work, I plan to follow with a bag of cheese puffs and repeat. Maybe one day ill regret my big(er) butt but ill thank cheese for getting me through the first month.

Recipe: Not healthy Real Mac and cheese.

Boil pasta (1 box any time of tubular variety) until al dente.
Make a basic béchamel sauce: melt 1/2 C butter and whisk in 1/4c flour. Add 4C of 1/2 and1/2 in little bits at a time until thick. Add salt and pepper to season. I added a few chopped tomatoes for flavor but you can omit or increase these, try adding sauce for a true Bianca sauce flavor.

Mix in 2C sharp cheddar until melted. Pour over pasta in large baking dish. Cover with additional cheese of your choice (choose easy melting cheeses), 1c bread crumbs and 2T melted butter and dry parsley.

Feel free to mix in broccoli or my personal favorite artichokes and spinach. Add more milk or cheese to your desired consistency.

Bake 400 degrees until bubbly- about 20 min.


No comments:

Post a Comment