Sunday, October 7, 2012

Nothing is ever perfect...

I am a self proclaimed perfectionist. I rewrite sticky notes if they look too messy. I clean my work truck every weekend. I organize the fridge according to carton size.

Sure, some call this OCD, I call it detailed. Perfection is a hard lesson to learn for a perfectionist. There is bound to come a time in life when things simply can't be perfect, you can't make them perfect, and those moments are devastating.

Surprisingly, I somehow figured out early on that relationships won't, and can't, be perfect. Sure, your friends appear to have perfect lives and relationships on Facebook, with their beautiful houses, Golden Retriever named "Pal" and 2.5 children; but that isn't real life, that is the life we choose to show everyone. Really that dog has mange, their house is rented and their 2.5 kids torture baby animals.

My relationship with my ex wasn't perfect, but there were a lot of perfect moments. I knew I was in trouble with him as soon as I realized I was willing to compromise. I think he knew he was in trouble when he saw 54 taped episodes of "Bridezillas" on the tv.

I hope I made my ex a better person too. If I didn't I know for sure I at least improved his facial hair status (if he shaves it off to spite me I'll know he definitely misses me).

When he looks back on "us" I hope he feels sad (and a bit of me hopes he aggressively weeps into his pillow at night).

My ex said he regretted "us" after reading this blog, and I hope that's not true because I still have some stuff at his place.

So with that I bring to you the following from my kitchen, something that I admit is not, and can't be, perfect: The Chocolate Chip Cookie.

The problem is that the perfect chocolate chip cookie stays soft. The bigger problem is that the only reason cookies stay soft is because they are made with Lard or shortening, and that is not something I'm willing to do.

Recipe:

Cream 1 1/3c soft unsalted butter, 1c sugar, 1c light brown sugar, 2 cage free organic eggs and 2t vanilla until pale and fluffy. Add 2.5c flour, 1t sea salt, and 1t baking soda. Mix in 12oz dark chocolate chips (or cut your own chunks from a really good bar of chocolate).

Bake 350 degrees for 10-12min. Cool on a cooling rack. Use an ice cream scoop for easy dropping onto cookie sheets.

1 comment:

  1. Isn't an egg by definition "in" a cage with no bars?

    Recipe sounds great BTW

    ReplyDelete